Our co-founder Rob Jacobs speaks about working while walking, and how moving while you think benefits your creativity and enhances your productivity. For this podcast he walked through the interview, discussing features and benefits of the WALK-1 treadmill. Listen right here on our site, or click through to SoundCloud to download the episode for later.
Here's a log of the podcast, if you want to skip ahead to certain sections:
- 1:09 — Professional backgrounds of Rob & Paul, the founders of UnSit
- 1:39 — Sitting is the New Smoking: “People are sitting too much and too long.”
- 5:57 — WALK-1’s mobile app, integrated with Apple’s health app and FitBit
- 9:29 — Examining overall benefits of walking while working — why walk and work?
- 11:55 — Discussing the medical perspective on prolonged sitting
- 13:48 — Discussing the creative spark that occurs while walking
- 14:45 — Scientific and medical discoveries that inspire and support UnSit’s mission
- 16:45 — How the WALK-1 be used in a work environment
- 19: 03 — The direction and future of working in motion
As Rob discusses in the podcast, when faced with a problem, most of us go for a walk. This is just as true for philosophers and inventors as it is for parents of teenagers. Something magical happens when we start walking. It’s like we’re freeing up our brains to really think. A Stanford study has confirmed that creativity increased 60% when subjects were walking on a treadmill. So the key was to create a treadmill that was designed for thinking. The answer, say the founders of UnSit, is the WALK-1.